Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sew-In Results = Ready for Vacation!!!

It didn't take very long last night for me to finish my sarong pants. It did, on the other hand, take forever for me to pack. But I am now ready to head out the door for my vacation.

Before I show you my finished sew-in project, I just want to say the following: over the last few years - and thanks to my sewing hobby in part - I've become much more comfortable and accepting of my body. There has been a lot of talk lately on other sewing blogs and in the media on "real" sized models, real bodies, and fashion. This morning, as I was sipping coffee, flipping thru the NY Times fashion supplement and planning this post, I came across this article - The F Word. It made me reflect on my own body and hang ups. At heart, I think that the fashion and beauty industry preys on our insecurities - about weight, about aging, about skin color, about our noses or breasts or the length of our legs or lashes.

Everyone has their own personal set of issues with their bodies, and I am no exception. I am fleshy, with thighs that my husband loves to pinch. It used to bother me that he would go for my jiggly parts. But I've come to love this about him and about me. Bit by bit, I am overcoming these things and realizing that the most beautiful thing that I can wear is self confidence.

So here I am, ready for a vacation that will mostly be spent in a bathing suit, which a few years ago would have been really quite stressful for me. But this year, I bought myself a bikini. And even though I would not say that I have made friends with my thighs and they are definitely not showing themselves on my blog just yet, we no longer hate each other quite so much... So, here I am in my new sarong pants and bikini top - tummy and all, one step closer to loving every part of myself...



Have a great week!

7 comments:

Sheila said...

You look fantastic and your outfit screams self confidence and ready to have fun... Have a fabulous time.

Reethi said...

Cute pants! Have a blast on vacation!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I agree with the commenters above! You look fabulous! Have a wonderful vacation!!!

Anonymous said...

These are so fun! And you look great. Enjoy your vacay.

N'il said...

You are positively beautiful! Have a great time. Love to sis and the boys.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Have fun and enjoy your bikini!

MS said...

You are totally fabulous! Hope you are having a wonderful trip! xoxo