Friday, February 11, 2011

Orange: A Healthy Dose of Virtual C?

It's hard for me to not be happy when I think about the color orange. And between stitching up my Lady Gray (I finished pad stitching the second lapel last night!!) and a mini trend I've been noticing in stores, I seem to be getting a healthy dose of virtual C, which is helping my mood, just as a bit of vitamin C is helping my cold.

Last year I was lamenting how scarce orange is in clothing stores. Orange seems to never be "in", except around Halloween. And at that time of year, the orange clothing usually comes with pumpkins, black cats or bats on it. However, just in the last few weeks, I've noticed a big influx of all different shades of orange at some very main stream stores, and more orange tones in the reds and pinks, too.

Anthropology orange hooded robe

Alice & Olivia at Saks

Banana Republic - this sweater comes in two different shades of orange!
Ann Taylor - Bright Russet cowl top


In the just arrived sections of some online fabric stores, I've noticed more orange fabrics and orange playing more of a role in prints.

Pumpkin/Wine striped jersey at Mood

Orange French Terry at Sawyer Brook

And a cheerful print also at Sawyer Brook
I am tickled by this, since I love orange so much. AND I am relieved. Everything I have heard and seen has made me think that this spring was going to be all about neutrals, which is just not the best color palette for me. Besides, in this long, cold, snowy winter that we are having in the Northeast, I for one could use a bit of cheery brightness. So, here's to orange!! Yay!

4 comments:

Heather said...

pretty pretty! I love orange too!

Karin said...

I also love orange. It is bright and cheery. Also, I think it suits my colouring. I have brown hair, blue/green eyes and pale skin with pinky undertones. Somehow orange makes my cheeks look rosy rather than blotchy! Maybe you are the same?

gwensews said...

OK, I love orange, too. I just finished an orange jacket that is very--tangerine.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I love orange too! It is such an unexpected color.