Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Finished: Clutch Purse x 2!

The weather continues to not cooperate for a photo shoot of my linen jeans trousers. However, my crazy productivity seems to be going strong.  Last night when I got home, my mojo was standing there tapping her foot at me impatiently. So we got right down to work and, by the end of the evening, we had two cute fold-over clutch purses.


Two cute clutches!


Surely, you recognize this fabric from the diaper bag I recently made for my friend, Magenta. I had some large remnants left over from that bag. So, one of these clutches is headed her way as a companion piece. I even included a D-ring so that she can attach the clutch to the lanyard on the inside of the diaper bag.


D-ring
 
Anyway, I basically followed this tutorial for the clutches. This being me, I changed a few things. First, instead of cutting the outside fabric as one piece, I cut it as two and sewed it together so that the pattern would be right side up on both sides of the bag.

 Next, I added a magnetic snap so that the clutch could be folded over and secured.

A square pouch with magnetic snap

Here's how I apply the snaps on the inside: I carefully measure and mark where I want them, stabilize with a small square of hair canvas and then apply. I use an awl to start to open the holes that the tines go through. 


Snaps from the inside.


And lastly, instead of binding the side seams as instructed, I used my serger to sew and finish in one swoop. I think one of the reasons I've been so productive this week is that I decided I wanted to get more comfortable with my serger. So, I've been serging away.

Final details are that I used a lime green cotton to line the bags, the same metallic thread for top stitching and really nice Lampo zippers from Botani. Seriously, my high end zipper habit knows no bounds when the zipper is a design feature.

Lampo Zippers are the best!

That's all there is to tell about this very simple, slouchy clutch. This brings my total finished items in the last week to 11 sewn and 2 knit!!! Wowee!  Here are two final shots:

Plain side

Zip side

Magenta, watch your mail for this little extra!

11 comments:

Clio said...

Lovely bag1

Clio said...

I love that fabric - these looks great

Clio said...

Very cute. Love that tree.

Clio said...

Thanks! This is such a simple make; it really is all about the beautiful fabric.

Clio said...

thats so awesome... Like yourself productivity at HOP HQ is super high but no photos to prove it...

Clio said...

Wow! Super high turnout from the craft lounge! Very impressive! Love this fabric, btw.

Clio said...

What a cute bag..love the fabric. I may need one of these.

Clio said...

I am in awe of your mojo, seriously. OK, I will ask. Where did you get that fabric? It is fabulous! I wanted to ask when I saw the diaper bag, but I refrained, but you just keep waving it in front of me. TELL!

Clio said...

Super cute!!!! Love them.

Clio said...

LOL - Sorry to be such a temptress! I got it at Mood. Here it is: http://www.moodfabrics.com/brown-floral-metallic-poly.html I think it is much better looking in person (and on my blog) than on their website, which is really weird. It really is beautiful and very luxe looking in person.

Clio said...

This is such a good idea! I imagine walking around with it and having people think I magically achieved the elegant, impractical look just by folding a regular purse in half, when actually a lot of thought went into the design. I also love that the fabric looks a little like an animal print but isn't.


Not many people are posting purses on Kollabora lately. You should upload this over there if you get the chance!