Monday, February 17, 2014

Ooh la la: The Sew Sexy Sew Along!

Ooh la la, all you sexy people!  Guess what? Yours truly is co-hosting The Sew Sexy Sew Along. 


Image "on loan" from WWNDW


When Lisette of What Would Nancy Drew Wear? invited me to co-host this sew along with her and the fabulous Nettie of Sown Brooklyn, how could I say no?  Style-wise, we are so very different, and I think that's perfect.

What is sexy, anyway? Does it mean you have to show some skin? Does it mean tight and/or short? Or that you have to wear leather, lace or animal print? Does it mean you have to be a certain size or have a certain figure type? What about for men - what is sexy for guys? I suppose this is something that we hope you will join us in answering.  Personally, I've always thought that the sexiest thing a woman can wear is her self-confidence.

That said, clearly I've indulged in a lot of sexy sewing in the last year or two. Just check my most recent project if you doubt. Or the one before that. I mean, how many other sewists have a sewing safe word? In the last few years, I've been poking at my own fashion boundaries and seeing how far I can make them stretch - occasionally wearing things that you really have to commit to before you walk out the door.  So, for me, this sew along will be a good - and long overdue - opportunity to explore my thoughts on sex appeal and my style. Also, I have some inspiration posts planned.

But all that is besides the point, which is to encourage you to sew something that will make you feel sexy and confident, and perhaps pokes at the edges of your own comfort zone - a neckline that is a little more daring, a hem that your mom might object to, a slit, a more fitted silhouette, something silky to wear under your clothes that only you will know about...





Anyway, here is the important information about the sew along.


The Sew Sexy Sew Along (March 9 - April 14, 2014!)
This sew along is a laissez-faire "sew what you want" sort of affair - what do you think is sexy? Sew that thing! There are only a few details:
  • Fabric Shopping this Saturday - February 22 - my co-conspirators and I invite you to join us for fabric shopping fun in the NY garment district. (Not required, but certainly fun! Email Lisette at taponmyback(at)cox(dot)net for deets!)
  • Grab a Button here!
  • And join the Flickr group!
We enthusiastically welcome all! 

But whether you join us or not, I hope that you will stay tuned as we discover What Would Nancy Drew Wear to Make Ned Hot Under the Collar?, that hip urban librarians knows how to fan the fires (Fahrenheit 451, peeps!), and what I can possibly do to top my past sexy sews (hint: I will not be needing tape this time). 

24 comments:

Clio said...

I'm so glad I invited you to co-host...this post just proves how right that decision was. You write brilliant posts!

Clio said...

Ooooooooh (la la)! Interesting! I'm the least sexy girl in town, but I'm sort of tempted to try this out! Hmm...

Clio said...

... a silky cami for underneath a slouchy sweater perhaps??

Clio said...

Why thank you! If you can't tell, I'm pretty psyched you did too!

Clio said...

Then we're in the same boat...I tried to find a "sew sexy" photo for my intro post and, well, it was pretty embarrassing how I lacked in any such thing.

Clio said...

My birthday is April 15 so I would love to sew myself a sexy bday present.

Clio said...

Ah! I have red silk dupioni that I want to turn into a cocktail dress for a book launch party in early April, but I was worried about standing out. I like what you said about self confidence being sexy so I'm going to give this sew-along a go! Have fun on Saturday. I have plans already otherwise I'd love to join in.

Clio said...

Yay! And red is an excellent color on you!

Clio said...

Hooray! What a great bday gift!

Clio said...

Excellent!!

Clio said...

Thanks! Just read Beau Baby's post and am now thinking mine will be too modest, but...baby steps! :)

Clio said...

Red is sexy and if it pushes your boundaries, I say you are in!

Clio said...

i love how the three of you will all have extremely different but really thought-provoking ideas about the topic. cannot wait to follow along!

Clio said...

Ooh, I want to join! I been thinking about making some more under things and this might be the perfect excuse!

Clio said...

Excellent! I'm in.

And I promise not to post any photos that would embarrass my kids.

Clio said...

Yes! Perfect excuse!

Clio said...

LOL! Excellent!

Clio said...

Me too! I do not associate the word sexy with myself, but I'm actually really excited about this. Let's do it together from one non-sexy to another!

Clio said...

oooooo I didn't even think about undies...

Clio said...

I'm wondering if there's some sort of way I can join this given that I feel so NOT sexy. I'm giving it a lot of thought. Pls. stay tuned. And, are you going to make a corset?! :-)

Clio said...

This could be just the thing to snap you out of that little rut!



I don't think corsetry this time. Neetie is going to do lingerie, I think, so I'm going to focus on something I could wear out. I have a few ideas, but haven't made a final decision yet....

Clio said...

Oh I so want to join in too. But I think I'm too brain dead right now to make the generous deadline :-( Would have loved to make something with that black lace that you also got. A peek-a-boo slip that isn't afraid to come out on its own either. Actually, I'm wishing I bought the whole reel. Damnit!

Clio said...

oooooo I'm so in!!! Now only to decide the what!

Clio said...

A former classmate in grad school said that the sexiest thing a woman can wear is chest waders. He got his sweetie rubber chest waders for her birthday. They are married now, so she must have liked them better than I liked the heart rate monitor I got for Valentine's day.